Spaying and neutering of pets is one critical solution to pet overpopulation.
In this country, 575 pets are euthanized every hour because there simply are not enough homes. The LCHS promotes spay and neuter through educational programs and provides free and reduced cost spay/neuter surgeries through a variety of special grant programs, including distribution of Be the Solution spay/neuter vouchers.
Get a low cost Be the Solution spay/neuter voucher
This local organization provides Tallahassee residents with low cost spay and neuter surgeries for companion animals. They raise funds to finance the surgeries through on-line and mail-in donations and community fundraisers. LCHS is a distribution location for Be the Solution vouchers.
BTS has two co-pay structures
- For residents who can provide proof of need, the co-pay is $5 for a voucher to spay or neuter a dog or cat.
- For residents who cannot provide proof of need, the spay/neuter voucher co-pay is $30 for a dog and $20 for a cat.
To get your low-cost spay/neuter voucher through this program, examine the requirements on their website, then visit one of the following locations to receive your voucher:
- The Fix Thrift Store at 1208 Capital Circle SE, Unit D in Tallahassee on:
- Tuesdays and Thursdays from 11 am – 1 pm
- Saturday from Noon until 3:00 pm
- The LCHS office at 413 Timberlane Road on:
- Monday through Thursday from 10am – 5pm
- Friday from 10am – 1pm
To qualify for a PON voucher, you must also bring one of the following items:
- EBT Food Stamp Card
- Medicaid Card
- Unemployment Check Stub
- Disability Check Stub
- Previous year tax return demonstrating a one adult household with income less than $25,000 per year.
- Previous year tax return demonstrating a two adult household with income less than $40,000 per year.
Vouchers must be for your personal companion pet and you must bring your Driver’s License or be able to provide an alternate photo identification card.
In both cases, the client co-pay cost is significantly less than the normal cost to spay and neuter a pet.
Other resources for assistance with spaying or neutering a pet
The TREATS program offers a limited amount of free spay/neuter vouchers at the beginning of each month through the Tallahassee Leon Community Animal Service Center. Please call the Animal Service Center at (850) 891-2950 for details.